Sunday, June 21, 2009

Parts of Speech

1. NOUN - the name of a person, place, thing, idea, or action.

a) Subject - answers "who" or "what" before the verb.
b) Possessor - the noun that possesses something and has an apostrophe on it.
c) Direct Object - answers "whom" or "what" after the action verb.
d) Indirect Object - answers "to whom" or "to what" after a verb like "give" or "tell."
e) Object of a Preposition - the noun following the preposition.
f) Predicate Noun - equals the subject and comes after a "being" (linking) verb.
g) Appositive - a second noun further explaining the preceding noun and separated from it by a comma and not by a "being" verb.
h) Direct Address - the noun that is specifically named and spoken to in the sentence.

2. PRONOUN - takes the place of a noun.

3. ADJECTIVE - describes the noun.

4. CONJUNCTION - a joining word. (FANBOYS)

5. VERB - a word that expresses action or state of being.

a) Person - 1st (speaker), 2nd (one spoken to), 3rd (one spoken about)

b) Number - whether the subject of the verb is singular or plural.

c) Tense - the time of the verb.
1a. Simple present - (I carry)
1b. Progressive present - (I am carrying)
1c. Emphatic present - (I do carry)
2a. Simple future - (I will carry, I shall carry)
2b. Progressive future - (I will be carrying, I shall be carrying)
3a. Simple present perfect - (I carried, I have carried)
3b. Progressive present perfect - (I have been carrying)
3c. Emphatic present perfect - (I did carry)
4a. Simple past perfect - (I had carried)
4b. Progressive past perfect - (I had been carrying)
5a. Simple future perfect - (I will have carried, I shall have carried)
5b. Progressive future perfect - (I will have been carrying, I shall have been carrying)
6a. Simple imperfect - (I used to carry, I kept on carrying)
6b. Progressive imperfect - (I was carrying)
THE ABOVE EXAMPLES ARE ALL ACTIVE VOICE, INDICATIVE MOOD.

d) Voice - whether the subject is the doer of verb (active voice) or the receiver of the verb’s action (passive voice).

e) Mood - whether the sentence is a statement of fact or a question (indicative mood), a command (imperative mood), or a condition or mild wish (subjunctive mood).

6. ADVERB - describes a verb, adjective, or another adverb.

7. INTERJECTION - an exclamation, utterance, or expletive.

8. PREPOSITION

1.aboard
2.about
3.above
4.according to
5.ahead of
6.across
7.after
8.against
9.along
10.alongside
11.amid
12.among
13.apart from
14.around
15.as far as
16.as to
17.at
18.back of
19.because of
20.before
21.behind
22.below
23.beneath
24.beside
25.besides
26.between
27.beyond
28.but (except)
29.by
30.by reason of
31.concerning
32.contrary to
33.despite
34.down
35.due to
36.during
37.except
38.except for
39.for;
40.from
41.in;
42.into
43.inside
44.near
45.next to
46.of
47.off
48.off of
49.on
50.opposite
51.out
52.out of
53.over
54.past
55.per
56.prior to
57.since
58.through
59.throughout
60.till
61.to
62.toward
63.towards
64.under
65.underneath
66.until
67.up
68.upon
69.up to
70.via
71.with
72.within
73.without


9. ARTICLE - the (definite article); a, an (indefinite articles)

No comments:

Post a Comment