Sunday, June 21, 2009

Value of Self/Others Essay Topic

Dear Students,

Here, finally (I hear you say), is your last essay assignment. Yippee!

You might recall a statement I made the first day of class: "If at the end of the semester, you are the perfect English students – you are voracious readers, your vocabulary has increased extensively, your writing is clear and precise, you make no mechanical writing errors, etc. - , but you are filled with less self respect because of this class and/or less respect for your fellow students, then, in my opinion, this class has been a failure for you, and I have probably failed you as your teacher. Somehow, the educational process has to do much more than make us smarter; IT MUST MAKE US BETTER PEOPLE. If it does that, then the world is a better place. What happens between these four walls over the next few months will, hopefully, educate our minds and our souls."

Please reflect on the above, and then write a reflective essay about your own personal growth (or lack of such growth) during our too short time together. In other words, have you learned just data, or has this class given you more than that? Feel free to praise or criticize yourself, others, and me. I’m a big boy; I can handle it, and I might even grow from your suggestions.

I will truly miss you all (well, at least most of you!)

Mr. Willis

No comments:

Post a Comment